Monday, October 11, 2010

Bat Cookie Season

In my house October marks the beginning of Bat Cookie Season. I usually start baking the cookies two weeks before Halloween and if I'm lucky there are enough left to serve on Halloween night. I originally cut sugar cookies in the shape of bats and then outlined the edges of the bat with chocolate butter-cream icing. One year I over estimated the amount of icing that I needed and had a lot left over. Not wanting to throw out the left over icing I spread it on one of the bats and placed another bat on top of it to make a sandwich cookie. They were an instant hit! Now they are my most requested cookie.


Bat Cookies:

Sugar Cookie Recipe (use your favorite recipe)

Chocolate Butter-cream icing ( I use Hershey's Cocoa Powder and the butter-cream icing recipe on the side of the Domino's 10x Sugar box)

Bat shaped cookie cutter

Piping bag and Wilton Number 3 Round Tip

On a lightly floured pastry mat roll out the sugar cookie dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out bats using the Bat cookie cutter. Bake the cookies according to your recipe directions and cool them on a wire rack.

After the baked cookies cool separate them in pairs. Ice the bottom cookie with the butter-cream icing and gently press a cookie on top.

Put some icing in the piping bag and outline the top cookie. Add a dot of icing to make the eyes.